Well, it's that time of year again. The time when we reflect back on those things we are grateful for. And realize Christmas is actually just around the corner...and yes, summer really is over!
I have much to be grateful for. Friends, family, and a wonderful husband. But if I dig just a little deeper there are many things I don't reflect on near as much. I would like to share my gratitude for those things today.
Warm running water. If you have ever been camping and had to heat all your water, you realize how wonderful instant hot dish water and a steamy shower is.
Grocery stores...chucked full of all the stuff I use. From soap and clothing to food and hair dye! I don't have to save my bacon fat and mix it with lye and ash to get soap that will leave my flesh raw! Or gather sheeps wool and make my own yarn and knit everything so my family can have warmth.
A heater in my home... If my house is cold, I can turn up the thermostat and within 20 minutes it is warmer.
Books... I love good books. I can learn new things, try new recipes, transfer myself to another place and time, and learn more about other ways of life, people and self improvement.
This country. I love this country. I can never have the flag go by me without getting a lump in my throat. Those feelings stirred for the first time, when I was about 10 years old and went to a Girl Scout camp for 2 weeks. We would gather around the flag pole at about 7 in the morning after being woken up by the bugle playing reveille. It was usually cold, since we were way up in the mountains by Park City Utah. We were surrounded by beautiful mountains, the scent of pine trees and dew bending the grass and wild flowers over. A couple young girls would raise that flag on a rustic pine pole. The flag would reach the top of the pole, catch on the breeze and give a flap in the wind, slapping a salute to the morning sun. I fell in love with the red, white and blue and all it represented and have never stop loving it.
My ancestors. I'm sure I have some skeletons in the closet. I sure hope so. I would like to think I come from a long line of non conformist! LOL I am proud of my heritage. From the royal blue bloods of Europe to the Trail of Tears my Cherokee forbears walked. The farmers and the politicians. Pioneers of the land, and in the medical and electrical fields. Ranchers and business owners. The Quaker Reverend and the out-law turned sheriff in the wild wild west of Wyoming. I can't wait to meet them on the other side. I can only imagine, when I think how much I love all my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents...what a wonderful reunion it will be!
I love my kids and grand babies. How they have added to my life. My girls and their husbands and all my step children. They are what make life fuller
And Peter. For the man he is and the woman he brings out in me. A shoulder to cry on and a laugh when it's not even very funny. Someone who believes in me and forgives quickly. My best friend.
And last...the Turkey. How fortunate that I can go to the frozen section and pick out one ready to pretty much pop in the oven. If I had to go out and chop off the neck and pluck the feather and pull out all the entrails, I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty. I can just picture it now...Peter sets it on the table... feathers singed and legs out of socket. I'm sure instead of oohs and awes, it would be "What's with the Turkey?"
Yes, I am indeed grateful for frozen turkeys and other bonuses of life!
No comments:
Post a Comment